Sign In or Register

Hype Up Forums | Game of the Year 2011

Game of the Year 2011  

Buri add it to the backlog    08 December 2011 02:13 PM

The Spike TV Video Game Awards are coming around once again on December 10th http://www.gametrailers.com/event/vga 

So who do you think is going to take home the Game of the Year award?  What reveals do you think we’ll see?  Any thoughts on categories, nominees, pre-show hype or the VGAs in general?

Signature 

Buri add it to the backlog    08 December 2011 02:29 PM

It seems like most of the games nominated came out in that October/November blast of sweet games.  Due to the fact that I decided to start off with Dark Souls which is MASSIVE I haven’t really had a chance to play any of the other new games that came out around that time (besides COD:MW3).  So based on what I’ve read and heard from friends, I’m thinking Skyrim is going to get the GotY.  A close second will be Batman.  I’m thinking that even though Portal 2 and Uncharted 3 are deservedly nominees, they’re too short to win it.  But who knows?  They are all good games.

Might have liked to have seen Dark Souls up there for Best Graphics.  It’s okay that it’s not nominated for GotY, it’s too niche, and I’m happy that it has a Best RPG nomination.

MW3 has all the right nominations in the right places.  It’ll be fun to see the showdown between MW3 and Battlefield 3.

I played Kirby’s Return to Dreamland with my 9 year old nephew and we had a lot of fun, but it’s very obviously a game made for little kids, and for it to be nominated as one of the best games of the year for Wii is a bit of a testimony about how weak the game lineup for the Wii was this past year.

Even though award shows pretty much mean nothing, it’ll still be fun to see who the winners are.  I hope they make it more gamer oriented instead of trying to see how many C list celebrities they can get in the room.

Signature 

Random The Chief    08 December 2011 05:18 PM

Skyrim or Uncharted 3 will get game of the year most likely, with Skyrim having the edge I think. I’m not saying that I’d agree with that just I think they’ll choose one of those. It would be a pleasant surprise I batman won.

I’d like to see Battlefield 3 get some recognition for being the amazing game that it is. I have to think really hard about what my game of the year would be, but my top list would look something like this:

Portal 2
Arkham City
Super Mario 3D Land
Battlefield 3
Uncharted 3
Dark Souls

If I could do a top 3 it’s

Dark Souls
Portal 2
Battlefield 3

Tough decisions.

Henchman #2 Sleeping on the job    09 December 2011 06:53 AM

Uncharted 3 would be in the running, but I doubt its GOTY. Portal 2’s got less of a chance if only because people will have forgotten that game came out this year by virtue of the November games releases.

I haven’t played Arkham City or Dark Souls, but I’m sure they’re up there.

Himuro poop    18 December 2011 05:39 PM

Saints Row: The Third.

Plaztik here we go again    06 January 2012 11:26 PM

Don’t forget all those Zelda fanboys!

Mine’s Uncharted 3…it’s very short though

Damien Mind DEY Brap    07 January 2012 04:32 AM

Yeah. Even I finished it before getting bored!

Signature 

BokkenMonkey Dr. Rotcod    07 January 2012 11:50 AM

Arkham City…but it’s also the only game that came out last year that I’ve actually played…

Signature 

Buy something the RDM wrote
Or buy it somewhere else

Undine o hai    08 January 2012 02:41 AM

Bastion.

Cybernetic Empire The Winrar    08 January 2012 05:08 PM

I just realized that I didn’t play or beat a single player game in 2011…wtf!

Random The Chief    08 January 2012 05:16 PM

Battlefield 3 got the most play from me so I guess that’s my game of the year. I also really enjoyed Portal 2.